Thursday, June 21, 2007

China-focused blogs get more targeted

Back from Spain. Good to catch up with many friends at the UFI meeting in Bilbao.

Working my way now through a lot of e-mails and news updates. That's made harder by the failure of yet another cheap and nasty Dell power block for my nasty (and not so cheap) Dell laptop. Don't buy 'em.

I was interested to see more and more targeted and specific blogs in English about Chinese media. The latest that jumped to my attention is ChinaSearchAds. Of course, all the Baidu-buzz does make this an interesting place to focus.

The Baidu news which caught my attention this morning - and that of the ChinaSearchAds blogger - was the BBC story reporting that Baidu would be keeping its chequebook well hidden and would not be fuelling international expansion through acquisitions. The article quotes CFO Shawn Wang saying "Buying rivals would dilute our rate of growth and create a loss of focus. I do not believe we should go out and make acquisitions just because we have acquisition currency."

Mind you, it was a Wang quote which the Daily Torygraph misinterpreted last week to say they would be expanding in Europe. So who knows?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for mentioning us. Obviously we think that Chinese search engines are a very exciting place to be.

DellCAJohn said...

Hi-

My name is John, and I work at Dell headquarters. From your comment about your AC adapter, I am guessing you've had a bad history with them. If you'd like me to look into the problem, feel free to contact me:

customer_advocate@dell.com
ATTN: John

Paul Woodward said...

2 power blocks dead within 18 months seems like cost-cutting gone too far. Cheap production - the cable just pulls out of the end of the block. I've never owned a laptop before (and I've owned quite a few) where the power block didn't outlive the computer.

Not to mention the power button disappearing down inside the computer's body the other day. The technician who replaced it wasn't at all suprised. "See a lot of that"...

DellCAJohn said...

Paul-

I deal with these components costantly, and must say I've never seen that particular problem. I really am serious about investigating this, if you're interested.

John
Dell Customer Advocate