Friday, October 14, 2005

Parsons tips his hat to India

Speaking in Hong Kong today at an American Chamber of Commerce lunch, Time Warner CEO Richard Parsons indicated, as we have suggested in several recent articles, that India is looking more attractive than China to media companies right now. Reuters quotes him saying:

"India, I think, offers more current potential for us as it has a stronger rule-of-law culture," he said.

The obstacles in India are largely technical due to a lack of infrastructure, but there are fewer regulatory and cultural hurdles to overcome than in China, he said.

"I think gradually, gradually, they'll open up in their way," he said, referring to the Chinese market.

Speaking for myself, I don't think I'll be holding my breath waiting for that opening.

No comments: