Saturday, March 10, 2012

TCEB president to step down this month

News this week: According to Thai media reports, Akapol Sorasuchart, president of the Thailand Convention & Exhibition Bureau (TCEB), has tendered his resignation from the bureau citing “existing problems” as the reason – with effect at the end of this month.

As chief of TCEB for over two years, Mr. Akapol was expected to lead Thailand’s bid for the hosting rights of the 2020 World Expo in Ayutthaya. The official result of that bid will be announced by the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) in June 2013.

Mr. Akapol was quoted saying, “I worked hard and am so tired. I may take a break for a while. At TCEB, I thought I distanced myself from politics, but I realise I didn’t go far enough.” Commenting on the World Expo bid, he said, “Brazil is the favourite, and Dubai has a financial advantage, but the World Expo requires a lot of labour and tourist destinations. Dubai’s population is too small for the expo, so Thailand has the advantage in this respect.”

This post is excerpted from BSG's weekly e-newsletter which is part of our subscription research service, BSG Tracker. Visit our website to find out more about this service. You can also follow us on Twitter for all the latest updates.

No comments: